Secondary settler (clarifier) design optimisation with CFD
Optimal effluent quality and settler reliability
We use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation for optimisation, design and retrofit of secondary settlers (secondary clarifiers). Different inlet structures, baffles and scrapers can be tested with simulation, and settlers can be stress-tested with different MLSS concentrations and flow rates.
Major variables we assess
- Sludge blanket height and velocity profiles in supernatant
- Solids profile as function of depth
- Optimal removal of settled sludge at the bottom of the settler
We can easily vary:
- Design factors such as shapes, baffles, inlet structures, ...
- Operational variables such as MLSS concentration and flow rates